Friday, March 15, 2013

Log Cabin Technique Class

On Saturday, I took our second class for the month of February (which was rescheduled to March thanks to the blizzard from Storm Nemo) from 11 to 4.  It was a log cabin technique class using this ruler:


It uses the book called Log Cabin ABSc by Marti Michell (which I ending up buying after class):


I have made several log cabin quilting using the Quilt in a Day book by Eleanor Burns.  But I love this ruler so much better!  The squares are so precise, accurate and square from the beginning.  I will only use this method from now on when making any quilts using these blocks! 

Here are some of the samples I made from the class:

Chevron Block:


I think that I am going to turn this into a small pillow for my dog, Hershey.  He loves cuddling with pillows on the couch and this one would be his.  I don't have any more orange fabric or I would make more blocks and turn it into something larger.
 
Court House Block:


Traditional Log Cabin Block:


The court house and traditional log cabin blocks are going to be used as the fronts for some toss pillows for our new camper. My camper's colors are mostly brown with a hint of green so these will match perfectly! I love the look and colors in both of these blocks.

Off Centered Log Cabin Block:


For this last block, they are actually four separate blocks joined together as one bigger one forming a pattern.  I made these from 2 fat quarters and I used a little more than half of each one.  I have 4 more of each colored fat quarters at home.  I think I am going to make more of these blocks and see how big it will be to make something out of it.  I am hoping for a lap quilt or at least a wall hanging for my office at work, we'll have to wait and see.

Overall, it was a fun class and I learned a whole lot from it.  And I got to spend the whole day with Denise and Carol as an added benefit!

No comments:

Post a Comment