Friday, September 12, 2014

Sunday Swing Socks at Sunset

I've been on a sock knitting kick lately.  I figured if I was going to knit, let's make useful items for myself (or sometimes for hubby too).  This is my first attempt at a top down sock other than the sample socks I made several years ago.  Here they are:


These socks were also make using a new method to me, knitting them on 9" circular needles.  What???  9 inch???  Yes, you read it right.  They are the perfect length for knitting in the round and match the diameter of socks.  I first read about this from Stacey Trock from Freshstitches.  Want to read more about it, here are her blog posts #1 - Why a 9"? and #2 - Video: How to Knit Socks on 9" Circulars.
 
Here's a picture of my cast on:
 
 
Aren't they so cute!  To me, this is more efficient way of knitting socks over magic loop.  You do not have to keep adjusting your needles and turning your yarn bag.  I made these in a little over three weeks.  As you can see, I bought two sets of needles and I work them at the same time so I don't get second sock syndrome.
 
Where do you get these needles?  I got mine from an eBay store called Knit Bin.  They are HiyaHiya Sharps in size 1 (2.25 mm) for $9.25 each plus shipping.
 
 
If this has sparked some interest to you, please give it a try, you won't regret it!  If you do, please leave me a comment telling me about your experience and thoughts.  I love this method!

 
Supplies:
Pattern: Sunday Swing Socks by Kristel Nyberg
Yarn: S.R. Kertzer On Your Toes 4 Ply with Aloe Vera #3824 - Sunset Print
Needles: HiyaHiya Sharp 9" Circular - Size 1 (2.25 mm)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful work as usual! I can't wait to try it. Hugs to Hershey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Saw a link to this post from a page on the "9 inch circulars rock" Ravelry group. Love your colorful socks! I just ordered different brands of 9",11" and 12" circulars to try. I'm currently starting my first pair of socks (ever) on 9" Hiya-Hiya Sharps in size US#1 or 1.5,whichever is 2.50mm. I had no problem once I forced myself to relax my grip, lol.

    I like magic loop for larger items,but these feel just right for socks! :)

    ReplyDelete