Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Simple Amish Christmas - Vannetta Chapman



Summary from Good Reads: Annie Weaver always planned to return home, but the 20-year old RN has lived in Philadelphia for three years now. Her time of rumschpringe is about to come to an abrupt end, bringing for Annie an overwhelming sense of loneliness. She returns home and finds herself face-to-face with a budding romance with an Amish farmer and Annie has several important choices to make.

Annie is such a wonderful Amish woman.  She left home at sixteen to pursue her education while living with her Aunt in Philadelphia.  She is called home to help her family and she heads back without a second thought.  With the holiday season upon her, she is feeling really homesick for her Amish family and their traditions.  Once returning back, she quickly gets back into her Amish routine while she cares for her father.  In only a month's time, she meets Samuel, who cares for all the sick in their community but he is not a doctor.  She is able to use her nursing skills to help him and the community.

Without giving away any details of the book, I wish Ms. Chapman would write another book to make this a series so we can see how things play out with Annie and all the other characters in this novel.  Although I am happy with how the story ended, I feel that it could continue if she wanted it to.

Based on reading this book, I would never have thought that this was Vannetta Chapman's first novel.  Her writing is wonderful and so is her talent to develop her characters.  I am looking forward to reading more from her as it becomes available!

4 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad that you loved this as much as I did! It is a fabulous debut novel and I can't wait to read more from Vannetta Chapman :)

    Excellent review, looking forward to reading more from you.

    Rachel
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Diane, I've nominated you for an award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book totally sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Thanks for the review! I'm going to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, I'm so glad you're enjoying Amish books in general and that you're looking forward to Annie's story in particular. I definitely enjoyed writing A Simple Amish Christmas - and yes, I have more planne. So stay tuned, and I'll let you know what is up next!

    ReplyDelete